North Norfolk embraces around 400 square miles at the far eastern tip of England. Its coastline stretches for 43 miles and much of it is designated an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The diverse landscape includes wide sandy beaches, pine forests, salt marshes and mudflats and as the seasons change the countryside takes on very different qualities.
North Norfolk is dotted with quaint and well preserved towns and villages. Nearby Cromer and Sheringham have been popular seaside resorts for almost 200 years. Blakeney, Cley and Wells are outstanding centres for wildlife and a haven for birds and birdwatchers (among the former are avocets, ringed plovers, redshanks, curlews and lapwings).
Seaside & nature
- Norfolk's most famous beaches (Wells-next-the-Sea, Holkham, Blakeney and Brancaster) are close to The Long House by car.
- Take a boat trip from Morston Quay or Blakeney Point to see colonies of grey seals.
- Book a local sailing courses or boat trip.
- Go crabbing at the quaysides in Blakeney or Wells-next-the-Sea.
- Visit Stiffkey Marshes, and the breathtaking Cley Marshes and Norfolk Wildlife Trust visitor centre. More than 300 species of birds have been recorded here.
- Holt Country Park countryside walks and wildlife.
- Pensthorpe Wildlife Park.
- Hawk and Owl Trust at Sculthorpe Moor.
Activities & things to do
- The nearby village of Stiffkey (pronounced Stew-key by locals).
- Visit Holkham Hall and grounds, including Holkham beach.
- There are many local horse riding schools.
- Visit Thursford Collection of steam engines
- Plan a trip on North Norfolk Railway and Wells and Walsingham Light Railway.
- Visit Muckleburgh Military Collection.
- Enjoy a Family Adventure Day at Hilltop Outdoor Centre.
- Horseracing at Fakenham Race Course.
Places to eat
- There are many lovely places to eat. Here are just a few highlights:
- The Red Lion pub in Stiffkey.
- Blakeney deli in Blakeney.
- Byfords Restaurant in Holt.
- Wiveton Hall Farm Cafe near Holt.
- Have a cup of coffee on the beach at Salthouse.
Where to buy local produce
- The nearest local shop is Stiffkey Stores.
- Local farm shops include Back to the Garden shop, cafe and restaurant.
- The villages/ towns of Wells-next-the-Sea, Blakeney, Cley-next-the-Sea and Holt are all close to The Long House, and are filled with excellent shops, pubs, restaurants and delicatessens.